Sunday 12 October 2008

Mad Dogs and Englishmen...

In which I spend a day in Salisbury, encounter a Lay Canon in the form of Robert Key MP and am bowled over by Orthrus reincarnated en route to Old Sarum...


I started off at Mompesson House, a National Trust property with a fine collection of drinking glasses... apparently it was also a film location for Sense and Sensibility.




Popping into the Cathedral I recognised the local MP, Robert Key, acting as an usher. Turns out he was made a Lay Canon in April and I must say it was nice to see an MP actually serving his local community - whilst I'm sure they all do this in one form or another this was a particularly visible act.




Continuing on foot to the hill fort of Old Sarum - basically where Salisbury used to be before the Normans saw sense - things started to go awry. Walking through a nature reserve minding my own business, two dogs combined into a two-headed Orthrus ran full tilt into me! I'd swear it was deliberate - they made no attempt to avoid me - I was upended, bruised and grazed but at least the canine pair enjoyed it. Their master appeared and was quite apologetic, as he should be - if I'd been a child or OAP the situation could have been much more serious... dog owners please keep your charges under control!

Undaunted I did reach Old Sarum eventually and was reasonably impressed by the views to be had from the top...




No comments: